Friday, December 21, 2007

Answers

After I teach I often ask if there are any questions or comments. I like the immediate feedback, and the questions steer me toward future topics. When I had a time of Q&A after a pastors meeting in India, however, I was reminded of how vital humility is, whenever we are in a position to supposedly have "the answers." At the conclusion of this pastor's conference there were questions about how to reach lost people more effectively, how to deal with false teachers - the typical sorts of things that pastors are concerned about. I answered them the best that I could. But not nearly as well as Yedidya Parker did when he got up after me (Yedidya is CTK's Lead Pastor in India). Yedidya said to the pastors "You are the pastors. You are the leaders. You need to look to God for guidance. God did not place Dave where He placed you. God did not place me where He placed you. He placed you there. You are the leader there. So you need to go to God for the answers you need. But if you get in trouble, CTK does have a call center. Write down this number. The number of the call center is Jeremiah 33:3 - 'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.'" Then Yedidya sat down. Isn't that awesome! I love that.

I'm reminded of the words to the hymn "What a friend we have in Jesus." There's a line in that song that goes like this: "Oh the peace we often forfeit, oh the needless pain we bear, all because we do not carry everything to God in prayer." We are "blessed" to have many books written by "experts" on "how" to lead the church. It is great to have mentors and colleagues to help along the way. But don't let anyone or anthing distract you from getting on your knees, and finding the answers you need from God. Every now and then it does us good to put the books back on the shelf and get ahold of heaven. Really, some of the greatest joys I've had have been times when I have been stuck and God has wonderfully helped me. Nothing beats the joy of calling on God and having Him pick up the line and answer!

As leaders we are sometimes viewed to have "answers." But the only real answer we have is "Jesus." This is why Paul said, "I preach Christ crucified." Paul said, "I don't know about anything except Jesus." As a leader, the best answer you can give is to point others back to Christ. It actually is a relief to not have to be "the Bible answer man" and to let people find their own answers direct from The Source. Jesus, after all, is The Truth, as well as The Way and The Life.

No comments: